Blues Appoint Roberto Martinez

by | |

Embedded image permalink

Everton Football Club is today delighted to confirm the appointment of Roberto Martinez as its next manager.

The 39-year-old Spaniard joins from Wigan Athletic and has signed a four-year contract at Goodison Park.

Mr Martinez was officially unveiled as the Club’s 14th permanent manager at a media conference on Wednesday afternoon.

Announcing his new manager to amassed media, Chairman Bill Kenwright said: "Four weeks ago, David Moyes told me he wanted to become the next manager of Manchester United. That time has been spent exhaustively searching for the right man to succeed him.

"I met some of the finest individuals in football today. The finest is sitting alongside me here today.

"It gives me great relief, joy and excitement to welcome Roberto Martinez as the next manager of Everton Football Club.

"I said the fans would play an important part and I have listened to them. They have largely said that I got it right last time. My message to Evertonians is that if you were in the meetings I had with Roberto, you too would be thrilled, excited, buoyed and in awe of him."

The Blues' new manager then spoke of how delighted he was to take over from Moyes.

"It is a really special day for me to join Everton Football Club," he said. "I am excited and honoured to come here and I would like to thank the Chairman and the board of directors for handing me this opportunity.

"I cannot wait to soak myself in all things Everton and become part of this Club.

"The move here came in a natural way. I had a phenomenal time at Wigan but it was the right time to move on. It felt right to join Everton.


"There is huge pressure after what David has done here. But I am proud of that pressure. What he has done has set a really high standard. I want to play a winning style of football. It is important the team doesn't lose what it did so well last season, only to keep improving.

"But David Moyes has set a great platform from which to build."

0 comments: